Saturday, May 28, 2011

'A Little Closer'

It has been a while since my last post and rest assured I have been busy writing and costume wearing! It has been such a busy time putting together 5000 words for this project but I can now see the end
of the tunnel.

I have photographed three of my intended tasks which include: quill and ink; wax seal and needlecraft. As you can see I have included a photograph of myself in costume. Yes, that's me!

What was astounding to me was that I enjoyed dressing up and performing each task; I like how the dress feels. It's liberating yet confining! I can see why this era stepped out of such restrictive garments to much more freeing materials and pattern designs.

While in costume, I wrote each letter and conducted each task with ease as if I had always been doing them. Writing with a quill and ink was incredibly satisfying, I felt calm and happy as I was using this very old and out-of-date form of penmanship. After visiting 'Booktown' in Clunes Victoria and the Heritage Weekend in Ballarat Victoria this month I have realised how there are many people returning and learning the art of using a quill and ink and how using a wax seal makes them feel like they are a part of a bygone tradition. 

What I wasn't prepared for was my feelings about experiencing each task. I got lost in the idea of being in the Regency period and seem to relish in the everyday activities. This has made me more determined to finish the first 5000 words and develop this project!

Dearest Elizabeth,
It is with your confidence and support, that I have found myself enjoying ones daily tasks. You are a friend indeed. I look forward to our correspondence, it frees me from the drudgery of ones wintery existence...



3 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME! You've done really well with the dress! I had to blink twice to see that it was you! You should be VERY proud of how well you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable page, I love, love, love Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou and to you too Kate. Yes it was a wonderful assessment and I got to dress up too!

      Delete