Thursday, March 10, 2011

'The Costume Takes Shape'

Sunday began with the alarm going off at 6.30am. Climbing out of bed to take my son to catch a bus for 'Boatrace'. After a bit of breakfast, I started getting things ready for the all important 'sewing experience'.

As we know I am definitely not a sewing person, however, I think I am becoming a convert! Although this whole experience has been somewhat painful for me(needles), it has been rewarding at the same time.

I was so glad that Mum came to 'supervise', because I do not think I could have done this on my own! Everything from the pattern to cutting the right pieces out, and not to mention actually sewing the bodice to the skirt; with nerves of steel I proceeded forward!

There was a hiccup; the pattern wasn't very clear so we had to add material to the very bottom of the dress; thank goodness it doesn't look out of place! Considering the photos won't show the very bottom of the dress, I am sure all will be okay!

It now resembles something like the 18th Century picture on the front of the pattern. All that needs to be done is, to sew the sash onto the waist; add the nice brown wooden buttons; fix the sleeves and finally I must hem it to fit!

So, with the first task sort of finished, I can move onto the next.

I must consult my notes!

No comments:

Post a Comment