Saturday, February 26, 2011

'The Expense of Props'

I knew when I started this project, that to make things authentic I would have to purchase some props. This weekend has started out with some more purchases. A feathered quill, blotting paper and a beautiful wax seal stamp can be added to the collection.

I am excited about how the project will turn out; it helps, knowing I have the right equipment. I want the photographs to be as true to the experience as possible, allowing for the reader to gain a sense of the 18th and 19th Centuries.

It is with these extra props that I can experience what Jane Austen wrote about in her novels; the domestic rituals of the middle class ladies of that time. Although, I will be re-creating some of the domestic duties associated with the housekeeping staff.

I am hoping to gain new skills in writing; which would include being able to master the art of writing with a quill. I hope to get a new appreciation for my washing machine by experiencing the washboard option and as I have stated before sewing is not one of my strong points. As I already wear glasses, I am sure that reading under candlelight will be a challenge.

I am still unsure as to how I will heat up my cast iron so I can iron all those pieces of lace I have lying around! I will, however, find a way. The only thing I haven't purchased as yet is a needlework project I can do. I will try to find something simple! Again I am not particularly gifted in this vocation!

With these small activities in mind and a few more lined up, I will start my project as soon as I have my costume made!

The expense has been high, but I think it is going to be worth it!

The Jane Austen Experience is coming slowly together!

No comments:

Post a Comment