Saturday, February 12, 2011

'My 'Pride and Prejudice' Project Begins'

With a pattern in hand and some interesting ideas, I will embark on a project that will take me into the world of Jane Austen.

What sort of project you ask?

A journey into the experience of Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey. One which will take a lot of perseverance and some Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century know how! Considering I never lived two hundred years ago; this will be a challenge.

I will need to research all I can to succeed!

The project will run over a year and throughout the year I will gain a small glimpse into Jane Austen's world.

I guess you are wondering how I am going to do this in such a technologically advanced world; I won't be experiencing it twenty-four hours a day for the whole year. I will just experience different aspects of that time in a 24 hour period.

For instance: I am not a sewing person! I will however, be sewing my own costume; wearing it for a day, to see what it was like to be constrained by so many layers.

There will be failure; there will be tears; I am sure I will want to give up, but I will be writing this blog (as a diary) to document my journey; my research and my year!

My first hiccup has already revealed itself! I am baffled at the pattern details: I cannot read a pattern! What does 3 3/4 Yd mean? I am sewing illiterate! Anyway that is what Mother's are for!

So I hope you will stay tuned; take the journey with me and experience a little of Jane Austen's world!

3 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to watching this project develop! Jane Austin's life was a very remarkable one from what we know of. I find it so interesting how others find inspiration for stories and I have always been intrigued with Jane Austin's life compared to the lives of her characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Nicole! Sounds like it will be fun but also a challenge. I hope it is a big success and I can't wait to read all your posts...and good luck with the sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! My mum has some books on Austen, her home and life etc, would you like me to see if she'd loan them to you. I also have some photos of the cottage if that helps? and a few other misc books that may be of interest. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete