Thursday, February 17, 2011

'Resources and Sources'

Jane Austen's writing as we know, was and is exceptional. I must say that this project is fun but there is a downside to all this fun. My doubts do not lie with putting together the information I need, however my doubts come from, the idea that will anybody want to read my opinions!

Since my first post, I have been overwhelmed by the support I have had from fellow students and family. It has been extroadinary how much people are willing to help me.

I was just starting to think about what resources and sources I could find, when, out of the blue, Kate Smyth jumps to the rescue with several books belonging to her, and some belonging to her mother. Also Adelle Brereton has been able to add to my props, with an ink well and pen.

I greatly appreciate all the support and I now understand the power of Jane Austen and her writing. Jane's influence stretches far from her writing desk and into the hearts of 21st Century readers and of course writers.

It is clear that this task lays heavily on my shoulders: to not damage the reputation of this incredible writer; to somehow entertain those who also love Jane Austen and to create something that I can say I am proud of.

So, where does this project stand at the moment. I have been in contact with a lady who resides in Kenya, who may turn out to be the person I interview; she has also given me a contact in Australia. I have also sent an email to this lady and I am hoping to get a reponse.

I have not yet been to purchase the material for the costume; however I am also chasing up some other options.

I did say that I was intending to include a chapter on the adaptations of her books to films; I have decided to put this together as an opinion piece; what I think of the films including the BBC series and how much of the books contents are excluded.

So I think at this stage I have a plan! I hope it is a good plan!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Had an idea about the costuming bit, Sov Hill may hire one to you for the day? Worth a shot. Mum found a wee booklet too that may be of use, about the cottage at Chawton, will put it with the other bits when I find them, probably by Monday!

    ReplyDelete